Resident Development Scholarship (RDS) Program
American Thoracic Society
2013 Resident Development Scholarship (RDS) Program
(Formerly the Residents Travel Award – RTA)
DEADLINE – Thursday, February 28, 2013 (NOW CLOSED)
To see a list of the 2013 RDS winners please click here
The American Thoracic Society’s Resident Development Scholarship (RDS) program for internal medicine and pediatric residents is aimed at increasing physician workforce numbers in clinical and research careers in pulmonary, critical care and/or sleep medicine by providing an opportunity to attend the annual ATS International Conference. It is believed that exposure to the excitement of the scientific, translational and clinical information presented at the conference will provide a compelling series of reasons for residents to enter one of these fields applying to an adult or pediatric pulmonary, critical care and sleep fellowship program. Each RDS awardees will receive a certificate of achievement, a travel stipend in the amount of $1000 and one year’s Trainee Membership.
The RDS is an educational grant from MERCK.
An applicant for an ATS Resident Development Scholarship MUST:
- Be an internal medicine or pediatric resident in the US or Canada Program, who has not been accepted by an adult or pediatric pulmonary and/or critical care, or sleep fellowship program
- Declare an interest in a career in adult or pediatric pulmonary, critical care or sleep medicine
- Attend the ATS International Conference to receive the award where he/she will be identified with a ribbon recognizing the honor
- Be willing to be followed to measure the effectiveness of the program.
- Applicant must not be a prior recipient of the RDS
Optional: Additional consideration will be given to applicants who are authors on abstracts accepted for presentation or are presenters at sessions programmed for the ATS International Conference.
- Applicant must submit a completed Online Application Packet by the Thursday, February 28, 2013 (NOW CLOSED).
Each applicant will be sent an e-mail confirmation of ATS receipt of the application.
- An Online Application Packet will consist of:
- An Application Form which includes an indication of approval of the adult or pediatric residency director for the resident to attend the ATS International Conference from at least Sunday, May 19 through Tuesday, May 21, 2013, in Philadelphia, PA.
- A one-page maximum Letter from the adult or pediatric resident applicant indicating why he/she is interested in:
- entering a career in adult or pediatric pulmonary and/or critical care medicine
- in attending the ATS International Conference
- A one-page maximum Letter of Support from a sponsoring ATS member indicating whether he/she is willing to serve as a mentor/guide to the applicant at the International Conference. The sponsoring ATS member is asked to identify another ATS member who can serve this function, if he/she cannot fulfill this responsibility.
Questions? Please Email: ATS-RDS@thoracic.org or contact Elizabeth Guzman at 212-315-8627